There are a lot of claims floating around as everyone is rushing to pin point Stephen Paddock’s motives. At least 58 innocent people are confirmed dead and over 500 are injured after Paddock opened fire from a Mandalay Bay hotel room in Las Vegas last night, shooting into a crowd of concert goers. ISIS claimed responsibility for the attack, but the FBI denied any connection to terrorist groups. Here’s what we know –
According to ISIS’s news agency Amaq, Paddock converted to islam months ago… and ISIS claims he was a ‘soldier’ …
UPDATE: Senior U.S. officials say no evidence Vegas shooter was connected to international militant group after ISIS claims responsibility
— Reuters U.S. News (@ReutersUS) October 2, 2017
CAIRO, Oct 2 (Reuters) – Islamic State has claimed responsibility for a shooting that killed at least 50 people and wounded over 400 in Las Vegas early on Monday, and said the attacker had converted to Islam a few months ago.
“The Las Vegas attack was carried out by a soldier of the Islamic State and he carried it out in response to calls to target states of the coalition,” the group’s news agency Amaq said in reference to the U.S.-led coalition fighting the group in the Middle East.
“The Las Vegas attacker converted to Islam a few months ago,” Amaq added. (Reporting by Ali Abdelaty; Writing by Arwa Gaballa; Editing by Ahmed Aboulenein)
I honestly didn’t pin the guy as a muslim, so this initial report surprised me. Apparently ISIS doesn’t typically claim attacks that they had nothing to do with, so there might be some truth to the claim, but I’m not buying it until I see some hard evidence… I also find it hard to believe that he just ‘snapped’, which is what his brother is claiming. He clearly had planned the attack- he had multiple weapons, tons of ammo and booked a hotel room that would be facing the concert. I also find it hard to believe he is a ‘white supremacist’ – which is a big claim floating around twitter, as hysterical liberals call to ‘ban white people’ etc.
so trump wanted to ban muslims because of this shit but what about white people? #stephenpaddock
— Keith LeGenD (@DaMoEffinLeGenD) October 2, 2017
Ban every old white male of the country and build a big wall around them. 🤷🏻♂️
— Sebiii (@iSebiii) October 2, 2017
so can we ban white people now?
— démon (@siilverteeth) October 2, 2017
If he were a white supremacist, I doubt he would have an asian girlfriend and target a concert full of mostly white people attending a country music concert. Typically those crowds are full of right wing, pro gun, America loving people.
According to Las Vegas Sheriff Joe Lombardo, the motive remains unclear but is not suspected to be terrorism, meaning it was likely not associated with a political or religious aim.
“No,” said Sheriff Lombardo, when asked the massacre was a suspected “act of terrorism.”
“Not at this point,” he said. “We believe it was a local individual. He resides here locally. I’m not at liberty to give you his place of residence yet, because it’s an ongoing investigation, we don’t know what his belief system was at this time. … Right now we believe he is the sole aggressor at this point and the scene is static.”
So who is Stephen Paddock? Here’s what we know so far – (via DailyMail)
- The man suspected of killing at least 58 people and injuring 515 when he opened fire on concertgoers Sunday night has been identified as Stephen Paddock
- His dead body was discovered by police in a room at the Mandalay Bay Resort after he took his own life, with ‘over 10 rifles’ discovered on the scene
- Paddock, 64, lived just 90 minutes outside Las Vegas in the city of Mesquite, where he bough a home in a retirement community back in 2015
- He lived at the $400,000 property with girlfriend Marilou Danley, 62, the same woman police sought out for questioning about the terror attack
- Paddock had hunting and fishing licenses as was as his pilot’s license, and may have worked at Lockheed Martin as an auditor according to public records
- He had no criminal record in the state of Nevada and officials said at a press conference early Monday that they are still looking into his possible motive
- Paddock’s father was a serial bank robber who was ‘diagnosed as psychopathic’ and spent eight years on the FBI Most Wanted list after escaping prison We will continue to update as we get more information